Sugar House Construction Projects
December 28, 2018
Sugarmont Apartments—Boulder Ventures
- Start date: Fall of 2017
- Update: The project is in the late stages with finishing work now occurring outside and inside the structure. The staging area that Boulder Ventures has used for the past year, under an agreement with the property’s former owners, is currently being cleared in preparation for turning over to the property’s new owners, The Lowe Group. The throughway that previously existed between Highland and Elm, just south of The View development will now be closed. Access to the View parking lot will remain intact. The connection between Elm and Highland will be reinstated, via Elm to Wilmington, as the project is completed this spring. Work will soon begin on installing the new signal lights that will now be required for the new four-way intersection at Highland/Wilmington.
- Periodic lane closures, particularly north bound McClelland, may still occur as large trucks baring materials enter or leave the work site. Flagmen are on hand to assist traffic on these occasions. WB Sugarmont has been re-opened to vehicle traffic, as well as bike and pedestrian traffic.
- completion: Spring 2019
- Location: Project borders Sugarmont and McClelland St.
- Start date: TBD
- Update: Preliminary plans have now been submitted by the new owners of the property that previously contained the Dixon Building. The plans show a five-story building containing 200 luxury apartments with the ground floor dedicated to retail, including restaurants and a bike shop. Plans are still under the final design process and pending approval.
- completion: TBD
- Project description: Mixed use residential.
- Location: 2200 S. Highland Drive
The Fairmont (Lowe Development)
- Start date: Early 2019
- The Lowe Group is preparing to take over the former Dixon Property in early January. This will create the necessary staging area required for the construction of the Fairmont project, expected to begin early 2019.
- completion: Late 2020
- Project description: Residential-66 units
- Location: Elm & McClellan
Springhill Suites—Woodbury Corp.
- Start date: March 2018
- Update: Construction continues with the structure nearly filling up the property and rapidly going vertical. Most of the staging for the project is occurring from the south, at the far eastern end of the shopping center. Dominion Natural Gas has requested permission from the City to cut a trench across the east end of Wilmington, from back of sidewalk, north side, to tie into a main gas line connecting it to the future hotel. The request was to start the project this week. Permission was refused based on holiday restrictions of road construction projects and will instead be taking place in early January. One lane of traffic in each direction must bemaintained throughout the project, estimated to take 10-14 days.
- completion: Mid 2019
- Project description: 110 room extended stay hotel
- Location: 1220 E. Wilmington Ave.
Former Toys R Us/new Nordstrom Rack Building
- Start date: July 2018
- Update: Construction updates to the upper level of the building, facing Simpson, is near completed and Nordstrom crews are working on finishing touches to the interior with the hopes of being open for business early spring. Work is continuing on the lower level of the building, facing Wilmington Ave. A tenant for this new commercial space has not yet been announced.
- completion: Spring 2019
- Project description: Two level commercial/retail space
- Location: 1210 Wilmington Ave./Simpson Ave.
Westport Capital Project (former Shopko Site)
- Start date: Summer 2017
- Update: The east side of the project, the University of Utah Medical, is now taking its full shape and beginning to fill in. The five-story commercial office building planned for the south side of the property is also nearing fully formed.
- completion (first phase): Summer of 2019
- Project description: U of U Medical Clinic/Commercial Office Space/Residential
- Location: Former Shopko site
Cowboy Partners Townhouse Project
- Start date: Spring 2017
- Update: The first phase, north side units facing Wilmington Ave., are completed and near ready for occupancy. Work continues on the units on the project’s south side, near the Streetcar line, and appears on schedule for completion by early spring of 2019.
- completion: Early 2019
- Project description: 67 Townhouse residential
- Location: 650 E./Wilmington Ave.
Brixton Flats (700 East Streetcar Station Project)
- Start date: Fall 2017
- Update: Construction is now fully underway and is taking shape with framing underway.
- completion: Mid 2019
- Streetcar Line-Wilmington Ave./700 E.
- Project description: Mixed use development. 93 residential units above ground floor retail. Office space, a workout room, and general assembly room will front on Wilmington. While demolition and construction proceeds on the site, the Salt Lake Bicycle shop, currently housed on the 700 East frontage of the property, will temporarily move into the former Deseret Industries Building on Sugarmont. They will move back into a brand new facility upon completion as part of the collection of ground floor retailers.
- Location: Wilmington Ave./ 700 E.
Salt Lake City Costume Properties LLC
- Start date: August 2018
- Project update: Work is continuing on the retrofitting of the existing structure into a residential apartment building.
- completion: Early summer 2019
- Location: 1700 S./1100 E.
- Project description: Building re-model/expansion into nineteen apartment units.
1300 East Waterline replacement
- Start date: Mid/Late July 2018
- Project update: Work began 7/25 and moved rapidly from the 2100 S/1300 E. intersection northward. Traffic conditions have improved substantially since most of the project has now been occurring at night. The project is mainly occurring on the west side of 1300 E. and is expected to be completed by end of Jan./early Feb.
- Completion: Early 2019
- Project Description: SLC Public Utilities will be replacing a 100+ year old waterline running under 1300 East.
- Location: 1300 East, 1300 S./2100 S.
1300 East Road Re-construction project
- Start date: April/May 2019
- Completion: Summer of 2020
- Project Description: SLC Engineering will be taking up the old roadway, including the long buried former concrete road, and replacing it with a new concrete surface.
- Location: 1300 E./1300 S. – 1300 E./2100 S.
Hawk Light installations
- Start Date: November 2018
- Project Update: Initial staging for the first unit, including trenching across 2100 S. for power connections at 800 East, was completed just prior to Thanksgiving. Work has now suspended until after the holidays and will resume right after New Years.
- Completion: Spring 2018.
- One of three Hawk Lights to be installed along the 2100 S. corridor to provide additional pedestrian safety.
Wilmington Traffic Signal Project
- Start date: January 2019
- Completion: Feb.-March 2019
- Four new traffic control signals will be installed at the corner of Wilmington and Highland Drive to accommodate the new western extension of Wilmington through the Boulder Ventures/Lowes residential projects.
For questions or reporting issues or concerns contact: Bill Knowles, SLC Community Ombudsman: 801-580-2626; email@example.com