Sugar House Construction Projects
Updated Report – March 4, 2019
Sugarmont Apartments—Boulder Ventures
- Start date: Fall of 2017
- Update: The project is in the late stages with finishing work now occurring outside and inside the structure. The staging area that Boulder Ventures has used for the past year, under an agreement with the property’s former owners, is now cleared in preparation for construction of the new owners’ project. The throughway that previously existed between Highland and Elm, just south of The View development was temporarily closed but now re-opened. The new connection between Elm and Highland via Elm to Wilmington, is currently being constructed. Work is underway on the new signal lights that will now be required for the new four-way intersection at Highland/Wilmington. Periodic lane closures, particularly north bound McClelland, may still occur as large trucks baring materials enter or leave the work site. Flagmen are on hand to assist traffic on these occasions. WB Sugarmont has been re-opened to vehicle traffic, as well as bike and pedestrian traffic.
- completion: Spring 2019
- Location: Project borders Sugarmont and McClelland St.
- Start date: TBD
- Update: Preliminary plans have now been submitted by the new owners of the property that previously contained the Dixon Building. The plans show a five-story building containing 200 luxury apartments with the ground floor dedicated to retail, including restaurants and a bike shop. Plans are still under the final design process and pending approval.
- completion: TBD
- Project description: Mixed use residential.
- Location: 2200 S. Highland Drive
Dixon Place (formerly The Fairmont)-Lowe Development
- Start date: TBD
- completion: TBD
- Project description: Residential-66 units
- Location: Elm & McClellan
Springhill Suites—Woodbury Corp.
- Start date: March 2018
- Update: Construction continues with the structure filling up the property and rapidly going vertical. Most of the staging for the project is occurring from the south, at the far eastern end of the shopping center. Dominion Natural Gas was granted permission from the City to cut a trench across the east end of Wilmington, from back of sidewalk, north side, to tie into a main gas line connecting it to the future hotel. Additional utility connections, including multiple fiber optic lines, will be occurring over the next few months. Occasional lane closures may occur but will be held to a minimum.
- completion: Mid 2019
- Project description: 110 room extended stay hotel
- Location: 1220 E. Wilmington Ave.
Former Toys R Us/new Nordstrom Rack Building
- Start date: July 2018
- Update: Construction updates to the upper level of the building, facing Simpson, is near completed and Nordstrom crews are working on finishing touches to the interior with the hopes of being open for business early spring. Work is continuing on the lower level of the building, facing Wilmington Ave. A tenant for this new commercial space has not yet been announced.
- completion: April 2019
- Project description: Two level commercial/retail space
- Location: 1210 Wilmington Ave./Simpson Ave.
Westport Capital Project (former Shopko Site)
- Start date: Summer 2017
- Update: The east side of the project, the University of Utah Medical, is now taking its full shape and beginning to fill in. The five-story commercial office building planned for the south side of the property is also taking shape.
- completion (first phase): Summer of 2019
- Project description: U of U Medical Clinic/Commercial Office Space/Residential
- Location: Former Shopko site
Cowboy Partners Townhouse Project
- Start date: Spring 2017
- Update: The project is complete and nearly ready for full occupancy per the projected completion date of early spring 2019.
- completion: Early 2019
- Project description: 67 Townhouse residential
- Location: 650 E./Wilmington Ave.
Brixton Flats (700 East Streetcar Station Project)
- Start date: Fall 2017
- Update: The structure is now fully shaped and construction is active inside the building as well as out.
- completion: Mid 2019
- Streetcar Line-Wilmington Ave./700 E.
- Project description: Mixed use development. 93 residential units above ground floor retail. Office space, a workout room, and general assembly room will front on Wilmington. While demolition and construction proceeds on the site, the Salt Lake Bicycle shop, currently housed on the 700 East frontage of the property, will temporarily move into the former Deseret Industries Building on Sugarmont. They will move back into a brand new facility upon completion as part of the collection of ground floor retailers.
- Location: Wilmington Ave./ 700 E.
Salt Lake City Costume Properties LLC
- Start date: August 2018
- Project update: Work is continuing on the retrofitting of the existing structure into a residential apartment building.
- completion: Mid-summer 2019
- Location: 1700 S./1100 E.
- Project description: Building re-model/expansion into nineteen apartment units.
1300 East Waterline replacement
- Start date: Mid/Late July 2018
- Project update: Project completed
- Completion: Early 2019
- Project Description: SLC Public Utilities will be replacing a 100+ year old waterline running under 1300 East.
- Location: 1300 East, 1300 S./2100 S.
1300 East Road Re-construction project
- Start date: April/May 2019
- Completion: Summer of 2020
- Project Description: SLC Engineering will be taking up the old roadway, including the long buried former concrete road, and replacing it with a new concrete surface.
- Location: 1300 E./1300 S. – 1300 E./2100 S.
Hawk Light installations
- Start Date: November 2018
- Project Update: Work will re-start mid-March
- Completion: Late spring 2019.
- One of three Hawk Lights to be installed along the 2100 S. corridor to provide additional pedestrian safety.
Wilmington Traffic Signal Project*
- Start date: January 2019
- The project is reaching the final stages as the new pedestals have been installed and soon new poles will be put in place, followed by removal of the old ones.
- Completion: late-March 2019
- Four new traffic control signals will be installed at the corner of Wilmington and Highland Drive to accommodate the new western extension of Wilmington through the Boulder Ventures/Lowes residential projects.
*The mid-block pedestrian crossing light on Wilmington, between Highland and 1300 E. will be restored by early summer. After discovering that the original solar powered lights would not function in the narrow corridor with little direct sunlight, the City Engineering Dept. will be installing a hard wire power source to the system later this spring.
For questions or reporting issues or concerns contact: Bill Knowles, SLC Community Ombudsman: 801-580-2626; email@example.com