Sugar House Construction Projects
July 30, 2019
Sugarmont Apartments—Boulder Ventures
- Start date: Fall of 2017
- Update: The project is in the late stages with finishing work now occurring outside and inside the structure. The Owner has parted ways with the contractor, Ascent Construction, and will be finishing the project with Big D Construction. The switch over will have an impact on completion times that are not yet clearly defined.The throughway that previously existed between Highland and Elm, just south of The View development was temporarily closed but now re-opened.The new connection between Elm and Highland via Elm to Wilmington, is completed. The new signal lights at Highland/Wilmington are now installed and the new intersection is fully operational.Periodic lane closures, particularly north bound McClelland, may still occur as large trucks baring materials enter or leave the work site. Flagmen are on hand to assist traffic on these occasions. As part of the last phases of the project McClelland Street will undergo some long-planned improvements that will include re-paving, curb & gutter replacement, and a raised crosswalk at the McClelland/Sugarmont intersection as well as McClelland Trail improvements. This work is set to begin in late summer of this year.
- completion: Spring 2020
- Location: Project borders Sugarmont and McClelland St.
- Start date: TBD
- Update: Preliminary plans have now been submitted by the new owners of the property that previously contained the Dixon Building. The plans show a five-story building containing 200 luxury apartments with the ground floor dedicated to retail, including restaurants and a bike shop. Plans are still under the final design process and pending approval.
- completion: TBD
- Project description: Mixed use residential.
- Location: 2200 S. Highland Drive
Dixon Place (formerly The Fairmont)-Lowe Development
- Start date: Late summer ‘19
- completion: Spring ‘21
- Project description: Residential-66 units
- Location: Elm & McClellan
Springhill Suites—Woodbury Corp.
- Start date: March 2018
- Update: Construction continues mostly inside the building now as the external structure is nearly complete. It was decided that additional utility connections, including multiple fiber optic lines, will have to be done after the hotel construction is completed so that impacts to traffic lanes can be held to a minimum. Installation of concrete to replace the temporary asphalt, put in for the gas line connection, has begun and is expected to take approximately two weeks. Two lanes of traffic will be continue over the course of the project.
- completion: Mid 2019
- Project description: 110 room extended stay hotel
- Location: 1220 E. Wilmington Ave.
Former Toys R Us/new Nordstrom Rack Building
- Start date: July 2018
- Update: Work is continuing on the lower level of the building, facing Wilmington Ave. A tenant for this new commercial space has not yet been announced.
- completion: Summer 2019
- Project description: Two level commercial/retail space
- Location: 1210 Wilmington Ave./Simpson Ave.
Westport Capital Project (former Shopko Site)
- Start date: Summer 2017
- Update: The east side of the project, the University of Utah Medical, is moving rapidly and expected to be completed, ready for occupancy by late-summer. The five-story commercial office building planned for the south side of the property is also taking shape.
- completion (first phase): Summer of 2019
- Project description: U of U Medical Clinic/Commercial Office Space/Residential
- Location: Former Shopko site
Cowboy Partners Townhouse Project
- Start date: Spring 2017
- Update: The project is complete and several units have been leased and occupied.
- completion: Early 2019
- Project description: 67 Townhouse residential
- Location: 650 E./Wilmington Ave.
Brixton Flats (700 East Streetcar Station Project)
- Start date: Fall 2017
- Update: The structure is now fully-shaped and construction is active inside the building as well as out.
- completion: Late 2019
- Streetcar Line-Wilmington Ave./700 E.
- Project description: Mixed use development. 93 residential units above ground floor retail. Office space, a workout room, and general assembly room will front on Wilmington. While demolition and construction proceeds on the site, the Salt Lake Bicycle shop, currently housed on the 700 East frontage of the property, will temporarily move into the former Deseret Industries Building on Sugarmont. They will move back into a brand new facility upon completion as part of the collection of ground floor retailers.
- Location: Wilmington Ave./ 700 E.
Salt Lake City Costume Properties LLC
- Start date: August 2018
- Project update: Work is continuing on the retrofitting of the existing structure into a residential apartment building.
- completion: Early 2020
- Location: 1700 S./1100 E.
- Project description: Building re-model/expansion into nineteen apartment units.
1300 East Road Re-construction project
- Start date: May 13, 2019
- Update: The first phase of the project is now underway just north of 2100 South and extending to 1700 South and extending for approximately three 9onths. During this time 1300 East, between 2100 and 1700 South will be closed to all but local traffic. North and south bound through traffic will be instructed to use 700 East, State Street, and Foothill Blvd.
- Completion: Summer of 2020
- Project Description: SLC Engineering will be taking up the old roadway, including the long buried former concrete road, and replacing it with a new concrete surface.
- Location: 1300 E./1300 S. – 1300 E./2100 S.
Hawk Light installations
- Start Date: November 2018
- Project Update: 800 East is completed and work has begun on the McClellan/2100 South intersection. This project is expected to be completed by late July.
- Completion: Summer 2019.
- Three Hawk Lights to be installed along the 2100 S. corridor to provide additional pedestrian safety.
*The mid-block pedestrian crossing light on Wilmington, between Highland and 1300 E. is restored. After discovering that the original solar powered lights would not function in the narrow corridor with little direct sunlight, the City Engineering Dept. will be installing a hard wire power source to the system later this spring.
For questions or reporting issues or concerns contact: Bill Knowles, SLC Community Ombudsman: 801-580-2626; firstname.lastname@example.org