Sugar House Construction Projects
March 25, 2020
Sugarmont Apartments—Boulder Ventures
- Start date: Fall of 2017.
- Update: The project is in the late stages with finishing work now occurring outside and inside the structure. Big D Construction is now in full construction mode. They are projecting Phase I occupancy to be in about 8-10 months and final completion in about fifteen months.
Periodic lane closures, particularly north bound McClelland, may still occur as large trucks baring materials enter or leave the work site. Flagmen will be on hand to assist traffic on these occasions. As part of the last phases of the project McClelland Street will undergo some long-planned improvements that will include re-paving, curb & gutter replacement, and a raised crosswalk at the McClelland/Sugarmont intersection as well as McClelland Trail improvements. This work now looks to be taking place mid-summer.
- completion: First phase, late fall 2020; complete spring 2021.
- Location: Project borders Sugarmont and McClelland St.
Sugar Alley – Lowe Development
- Start date: Summer 2020.
- Update: Work is set to begin mid-to-late summer on the property that previously contained the Dixon Building on Highland Drive. The plans show a five-story building containing 200 luxury apartments with the ground floor dedicated to retail, including restaurants and a bike shop. Plan are completed and going through the final approval process with SLC departments.
- completion: Late 2021.
- Project description: Mixed use residential.
- Location: 2200 S. Highland Drive.
Dixon Place – Lowe Development
- Start date: Fall ’19.
- Update: Foundation walls are in place and rebar installed as the building starts to take shape and rising upward. Occasional vehicle traffic disruptions will continue intermittently as trucks enter and exit the area. Flaggers will be on hand to assure safety and traffic flow. A full covered walkway with lighting has been installed to accommodate pedestrian traffic north and south on McClellan. Neighbors were informed last week of a concrete pour that Kier construction had planned for 2:00 a.m. Saturday morning, March 21. A special permit was granted to the contractor for the after-hours work due to the size of the pour needed and conditions required to finish the concrete, once poured. Following discussions with the project owner allowed for the pour only on the condition that back-up alarms on the trucks were turned off and replaced with flagmen to reduce, if not eliminate, noise issues for neighbors trying to sleep. The trucks would also be staged to enter and leave from the McClellan side of the project.
- completion: Spring ’21.
- Project description: Residential-66 units.
- Location: Elm & McClellan.
Former Toys R Us/new Nordstrom Rack Building
- Start date: July 2018
- Update: Tenant improvements are continuing on the lower level of the building, facing Wilmington Ave. however the new tenant has not yet been announced.
- completion: Late fall 2019.
- Project description: Two level commercial/retail space.
- Location: 1210 Wilmington Ave./Simpson Ave.
Westport Capital Project (former Shopko Site)
- Start date: Summer 2017.
- Update: Work is completed on the five-story commercial office building situated on the south side of the property. Tenant improvements are currently being worked on in much of the space, with occupation expected within days. The approximately unit apartment building on the west side of the site is under construction with concrete walls set in place and rapidly taking shape, set to open early next year.
- completion (second phase): Early spring of 2020.
- Project description: U of U Medical Clinic/Commercial Office Space/Residential.
- Location: Former Shopko site.
1300 East Road Re-construction project
- Start date: May 13, 2019
- Update: The next phase of the project, from 1700 South to 1300 South, is set to begin in mid- March.
- Completion: Late 2020.
- Project Description: SLC Engineering will be taking up the old roadway, including the long buried former concrete road, and replacing it with a new surface.
- Location: 1300 E./1300 S. – 1300 E./2100 S.
*The mid-block pedestrian crossing light on Wilmington, between Highland and 1300 E. remains inoperable. However, a pole will be installed shortly to accommodate the panel necessary for a new light, with work set to begin within 2-3 weeks. The SLC Engineering Dept. reports that waiting for a critical part to be delivered has delayed the planned repair but expects it to arrive soon.
Boys/Girls Club Project
- Start date: Late 2020
- Estimated Completion: TBD
- Project Description: The Boys/Girls Club of Salt Lake is in the process of planning an expansion of its Sugar House facilities and is being assisted in the process by Real Salt Lake, The Utah Jazz, and Salt Lake City. More details as they become available.
For questions or reporting issues or concerns contact: Bill Knowles, SLC Community Ombudsman: 801-580-2626; firstname.lastname@example.org