Sugar House Construction Projects
September 28, 2020
Sugarmont Apartments—Boulder Ventures
- Start date: Fall of 2017.
- Update: The project is in the late stages with finishing work now occurring outside and inside the structure. Big D Construction is now in full construction mode with 110 construction workers on site, mostly working on the interior spaces. They are projecting Phase I occupancy to be in time for Thanksgiving, with full completion in 6-9 months.
Periodic lane closures, particularly north bound McClelland, may still occur as large trucks baring materials enter or leave the work site. Flagmen will be on hand to assist traffic on these occasions. As part of the last phases of the project the SE McClelland Street frontage will undergo some improvements that will include re-paving, curb & gutter replacement, and a raised crosswalk at the McClelland/Sugarmont intersection. This work now looks to be taking place late October.
- completion: First phase, late fall 2020; complete summer 2021.
- Location: Project borders Sugarmont and McClelland St.
Sugar Alley – Lowe Development
- Start date: Summer 2020.
- Update: Work is set to begin the week of 9/28 on the property that previously contained the Dixon Building on Highland Drive, between Wilmington on the south and the Vue development to the north. Plans include installing a temporary pedestrian walkway in what is now the outside, southbound lane of Highland Drive from the north end of the project south to the Wilmington crossing. Highland Drive will be reduced to one lane SB, from 2100 South to Wilmington. This will be a five-story building containing 200 luxury apartments with the ground floor dedicated to retail, including restaurants and a bike shop. Plan are completed and going through the final approval process with SLC departments.
- completion: Late 2021- early 2022.
- Project description: Mixed use residential.
- Location: 2200 S. Highland Drive.
Hawk Light Project
- Start date: Fall 2020
- Completion: Fall 2020
- Project Description: This is the last item on the current list of several safety additions to the Sugar House CBD area made over the past two years.
- Location: Approximately 2150 S. Highland Drive
Dixon Place – Lowe Development
- Start date: Fall ’19.
- Update: The project remains on schedule as the building is now fully framed and work is beginning on the units inside. Work on the last utility connections from McClellan St. have been completed and work on the curb, gutter, and sidewalk on the east front of the new building is nearing completion. This work necessitated the removal of the covered walkway and replacing it with an open, barricaded walkway on the east side of McClellan until the sidewalk is fully restored on the west side, approximately mid-September. Occasional vehicle traffic disruptions will continue intermittently as trucks enter and exit the area. Flaggers will be on hand to assure safety and traffic flow. Work on the new sidewalk, curb, and gutter should be completed by end of next week, 8/28. Complete repair of the roadway will be coordinated with the Sugarmont Project on the east side of the street as it finishes off the front of that property, expected to be mid-late October.
- completion: Spring ’21.
- Project description: Residential-66 units.
- Location: Elm & McClellan.
Former Toys R Us/new Nordstrom Rack Building
- Start date: July 2018
- Update: Tenant improvements are completed and a new tenant, FileVine, is now occupying the lower level of the building facing Wilmington Ave.
- completion: Early summer 2020.
- Project description: Two level commercial/retail space.
- Location: 1210 Wilmington Ave./Simpson Ave.
Westport Capital Project (former Shopko Site)
- Start date: Summer 2017.
- Update: Work is completed on the five-story commercial office building situated on the south side of the property. Tenant have been filling the building as improvements are completed in much of the space. The approximately 100-unit apartment building on the west side of the site is under construction with the concrete parking structure completed and framing of the upper structure in full swing. The third and final phase of this large project is set to open early next year.
- completion (third phase): Early 2021.
- Project description: U of U Medical Clinic/Commercial Office Space/Residential.
- Location: Former Shopko site.
1300 East Road Re-construction project
- Start date: May 13, 2019
- Update: The next phase of the project, from 1700 South to 1300 South, is underway. The roadway is closed to through traffic, residential access only. North/South traffic is being re-routed to either 15th or 11th
- Completion: Late 2020.
- Project Description: SLC Engineering will be taking up the old roadway, including the long buried former concrete road, and replacing it with a new surface.
- Location: 1300 E./1300 S. – 1300 E./2100 S.
1100 East Curb/Gutter Repair
- Start Date: Spring 2021
- Completion: Late Spring 2021
- Project description: SLC Engineering will be replacing worn out and damaged curb/gutter to prevent continuing street and store front storm water flooding.
- Location: Ramona Ave. to 2100 South, east side of 100 East.
I-80 Freeway re-construction
- Start Date: Spring 2021
- Completion: Spring 2023
- Project Description: UDOT will be replacing 50+ year old, worn out, pavement from 1300 East to 2300 East. The project will also include replacing brides at 1300, 1700, and 20000 East.
- Project location: 1300 East to 2300 East.
Boys/Girls Club Project
- Start date: Late 2020
- Estimated Completion: TBD
- Project Description: The Boys/Girls Club of Salt Lake is in the process of planning an expansion of its Sugar House facilities and is being assisted in the process by Real Salt Lake, The Utah Jazz, and Salt Lake City. More details as they become available.
- Start Date: February 2020
- Update: The project is currently on schedule with work now focused on the interior of the building.
- Estimated Completion: Spring 2021
- Project Description: 32 unit residential, one retail space.
- Location: 2700 S./900 E.
For questions or reporting issues or concerns contact: Bill Knowles, SLC Community Ombudsman: 801-580-2626; email@example.com