Sugar House Construction Projects
Updated report October 29, 2019
Sugarmont Apartments—Boulder Ventures
- Start date: Fall of 2017
- Update: The project is in the late stages with finishing work now occurringoutside and inside the structure.
The new connection between Elm and Highland via Elm to Wilmington, is completed. The new signal lights at Highland/Wilmington are now installed and the new intersection is fully operational. Periodic lane closures, particularly north bound McClelland, may still occur as large trucks baring materials enter or leave the work site. Flagmen will be on hand to assist traffic on these occasions. As part of the last phases of the project McClelland Street will undergo some long-planned improvements that will include re-paving, curb & gutter replacement, and a raised crosswalk at the McClelland/Sugarmont intersection as well as McClelland Trail improvements.
- Est. completion: Spring 2021
- Location: Project borders Sugarmont and McClelland St.Lowe Development
- Start date: TBD
- Update: Preliminary plans have now been submitted by the new owners ofthe property that previously contained the Dixon Building. The plans show a five-story building containing 200 luxury apartments with the ground floor
The Owner has replaced their former
contractor with Big D Construction and recently announced that they will
be mobilized and re-starting construction in about two weeks. They are
now projecting Phase I occupancy to be in about 8-10 months and final
completion in about fifteen months.
The project owner has re-confirmed his commitment to
getting this work done but noted that it will be occurring most likely next
spring as the new contractor gets fully engaged with moving the project
dedicated to retail, including restaurants and a bike shop. Plans are still
under the final design process and pending approval.
- Est. completion: TBD
- Project description: Mixed use residential.
- Location: 2200 S. Highland DriveDixon Place (formerly The Fairmont)-Lowe Development
- Start date: Fall ‘19
- Update: The project has started with burying utility lines under thesidewalks fronting the east and south sides of the property. Beginning the week of 10/28 crews will begin excavations on McClellan to allow for three utility connections, closing the south end of the street to vehicle traffic for approximately 1-2 weeks. Pedestrian traffic will be routed to the east side of the street where the parking lane will be barricaded to allow protected access north and south on McClellan.
- Est. completion: Spring ‘21
- Project description: Residential-66 units
- Location: Elm & McClellanSpringhill Suites—Woodbury Corp.
- Start date: March 2018
- Update: Construction continues mostly inside the building now as theexternal structure is nearly complete. Installation of concrete to replace the temporary asphalt, put in for the gas line connection, is complete and traffic lanes fully restored.
- Est. completion: Imminent
- Project description: 110 room extended stay hotel
- Location: 1220 E. Wilmington Ave.Former Toys R Us/new Nordstrom Rack Building
- Start date: July 2018
- Update: Work is continuing on the lower level of the building, facingWilmington Ave. A tenant for this new commercial space has not yet been announced.
- Est. completion: Late fall 2019
- Project description: Two level commercial/retail space
- Location: 1210 Wilmington Ave./Simpson Ave.Westport Capital Project (former Shopko Site)
Start date: Summer 2017
Update: The east side of the project, the University of Utah Medical, is officially open for business on November 4th. The five-story commercial office building planned for the south side of the property is fully shaped, exterior finishes are being added to the walls and work is starting to focus on interiors.
Est. completion (first phase): Summer of 2019
Project description: U of U Medical Clinic/Commercial Office Space/Residential
Location: Former Shopko site
Cowboy Partners Townhouse Project
- Start date: Spring 2017
- Est. completion: Early 2019
- Project description: 67 Townhouse residential
- Location: 650 E./Wilmington Ave.Brixton Flats (700 East Streetcar Station Project)
- Start date: Fall 2017
- Update: The structure is now being finished inside and occupancy expectedbefore the end of the year.
- Est. completion: Late 2019
- Streetcar Line-Wilmington Ave./700 E.
- Project description: Mixed use development. 93 residential units aboveground floor retail. Office space, a workout room, and general assembly room will front on Wilmington. While demolition and construction proceeds on the site, the Salt Lake Bicycle shop, currently housed on the
• Update: The project is complete and several units have been leased and
700 East frontage of the property, will temporarily move into the former Deseret Industries Building on Sugarmont. They will move back into a brand new facility upon completion as part of the collection of ground floor retailers.
• Location: Wilmington Ave./ 700 E. Salt Lake City Costume Properties LLC
- Start date: August 2018
- Project update: Work is continuing on the retrofitting of the existingstructure into a residential apartment building.
- Est. completion: Early 2020
- Location: 1700 S./1100 E.
- Project description: Building re-model/expansion into nineteen apartmentunits.
1300 East Road Re-construction project
- Start date: May 13, 2019 •
- Est. Completion: Summer of 2020
- Project Description: SLC Engineering will be taking up the old roadway,including the long buried former concrete road, and replacing it with a new
- Location: 1300 E./1300 S. – 1300 E./2100 S.Hawk Light installations
- Start Date: November 2018
- Project Update: Project completed.
- Est. Completion: Summer 2019.
- Three Hawk Lights to be installed along the 2100 S. corridor to provideadditional pedestrian safety. *
Update: The first phase of the project is nearing completion with finishing
work underway at the 1700 South/1300 East intersection.
The mid-block pedestrian crossing light on Wilmington, between Highland and
1300 E. is, once again, inoperable. The City Engineering Dept. will be installing a
hard wire power source to the system’s north side in addition to the south side
later this fall.
For questions or reporting issues or concerns contact: Bill Knowles, SLC Community Ombudsman: 801-580-2626; email@example.com