Sugar House Construction Projects
June 24, 2021
Sugarmont Apartments—Boulder Ventures
- Start date: Fall of 2017.
- A number of tenants are now occupying Phase I and more are moving in weekly. Work is wrapping up on the south face of the project and workers are now concentrating their efforts on the west face of the building. Full completion is expected in mid-to-late summer.
Closure of WB Sugarmont, between Highland Drive and McClelland, has been extended to re-open the week of 6/29, after utility and street-side improvements have completed on the Sugarmont Apartments. There will continue to be periodic disruptions as large trucks continue to deliver materials and work on the building continues. Flagmen will be on hand to assist traffic on these occasions.
- completion: First phase now open; complete summer 2021.
- Location: Project borders Sugarmont and McClelland St.
Sugar Alley – Lowe Development
- Start date: Fall 2020.
- Update: Work is now underway on the property that previously contained the Dixon Building on Highland Drive, between Wilmington on the south and the Vue development to the north. A temporary pedestrian walkway has now been installed in the outside, southbound lane of Highland Drive from the north end of the project south to the Wilmington crossing. Highland Drive will be reduced to one lane SB, from just south of 2100 South to Wilmington. The new Wilmington extension, a private roadway, will be reduced to one-way traffic (east bound only) accessed from McClellan St. The two-lane access formerly connecting Highland Drive to McClellan St., also a private roadway, is now reduced to one lane, west bound, and will be permanently closed to vehicle traffic at the end of the project. This will be a five-story building containing 200 luxury apartments with the ground floor dedicated to retail, including restaurants and a bike shop.
- completion: Mid 2022.
- Project description: Mixed use residential.
- Location: 2200 S. Highland Drive.
Dixon Place – Lowe Development
- Start date: Fall ’19.
- Update: The building is now welcoming its first residents.
- completion: Completed!
- Project description: Residential-66 units.
- Location: Elm & McClellan.
Westport Capital Project (former Shopko Site)
- Start date: Summer 2017.
- Update: The approximately 100-unit apartment building on the west side of the site is now fully framed and work occurring on the interior of the building. The third and final phase of this large project is set to open late summer 2021.
- completion (third phase): Late summer 2021.
- Project description: U of U Medical Clinic/Commercial Office Space/Residential.
- Location: Former Shopko site.
- Start Date: February 2020
- Update: The project is currently on schedule with work now focused on the interior of the building.
- Completion: Summer 2021
- Project Description: 32 unit residential, one retail space.
- Location: 2700 S./900 E.
Canal Repair Project
- Start Date: February ’21.
- Update: Work is completed on the canal installation. Restoration of curb and gutter and street landscape is near complete and re-striping of the street is set to begin Monday, 6/28.
- Completion: Late June ’21.
- Project description: Repair and replacement of the Jordan Irrigation Canal.
- Location: Highland Drive from Wilmington-I-80 Overpass.
Izzy South & North
- Start Date: May ’21.
- Update: Demolition has been completed on the south project site and is currently underway on the north site.
- Completion: Fall of ’22.
- Project description: 2-70+ unit residential, townhomes and single floor, with small commercial component on west end, ground floor.
- Project Location: 550 E./2100 S.
I-80 Freeway re-construction
- Start Date: Mid-May 2021
- Update: Construction is fully underway with the center of the roadway being done first while traffic has been shifted to the outside lanes and shoulder. Work has begun on the 20th East bridge replacement, the first of three.
- Completion: Spring 2023
- Project Description: UDOT will be replacing 50+ year old, worn out, pavement from 1300 East to 2300 East. The project will also include replacing brides at 1300, 1700, and 20000 East.
- Project Location: 1300 East to 2300 East.
900 East re-construction
- Start Date: May 2021
- Update: Work is continuing on the north end of the project from Hollywood extending across 2100 S. with re-paving now following the completion of utility work. The installation of a new, large waterline, unrelated to the street repair project, has necessitated the closure of 900 East between Ashton Ave and Forest Dale Golf Course for the past week and will extend to July 1.
- Completion: Fall 2021.
- Project Description: Replace pavement and stripping.
- Project Location: 900 E. from Hollywood Ave. to 2700 S.
- Start Date: Mid-June 2021
- Update: Demolition has begun on the site, temporarily closing east/west pedestrian access along the block face between 21-2200 East. The contractor will be providing a pedestrian walkway following the demolition process.
- Completion: Spring 2023
- Project Description: Multi-unit r
- Location: 2000 E./2100 S.
New Projects Coming Soon
- Start Date: Early July of 2021.
- Completion: 2-3 weeks, 2021
- Project Description: This is the last item on the current list of several safety additions to the Sugar House CBD area made over the last two years
- Location: Approximately 2150 S. /Highland Drive
900 E./Sugarmont Project
- Start Date: TBD
- Completion: TBD
- Project Description: 4-Story, 45 unit apartment building.
- Hawk Light Project
- Location: 2100 S./900-800 E.
Former Snelgrove Ice Cream property
- Start Date: Mid-summer 2021
- Update: Demolition of the old structures on site is completed and will be followed in early summer by construction.
- Completion: Early 2023.
- Project Description: Mixed use residential.
- Location: 2100 S./800-900
Alta Terra (Former 24 Hour Fitness
- Start Date: TBD
- Project description: Residential (Approx. 340 units)
- Location: Ashton Ave./1100 E.
For questions or reporting issues or concerns contact: Bill Knowles, SLC Community Ombudsman: 801-580-2626; Knowles.email@example.com