29 Nov Construction Projects
Sugar House Construction Projects
January 19, 2022
Sugarmont Apartments—Boulder Ventures
- Start date: Fall of 2017.
- Several tenants are occupying Phase I and Phase II, of the project. Leasing continues to move briskly. There will continue to be periodic disruptions on McClellan as large trucks continue to deliver materials and work on the west side of the building continues.
WB Sugarmont, between Highland Drive and McClelland, is now officially open but may experience periodic short-term closures to accommodate finishing work still being performed on the south side of the project. Flagmen will be on hand to assist traffic on these occasions.
- completion: This year (2022) for sure, maybe.
- Location: Project borders Sugarmont and McClelland St.
Sugar Alley – Lowe Development
- Start date: Fall 2020.
- Update: Progress continues moving rapidly as the structure of the building has reached its full height and has filled in the block framed by Wilmington on the south and the Vue development to the north. A temporary pedestrian walkway has been installed in the outside, southbound lane of Highland Drive from the north end of the project south to the Wilmington crossing. Highland Drive will be reduced to one lane SB, from just south of 2100 South to Wilmington. The new Wilmington extension, a private roadway, will be reduced to one-way traffic (east bound only) accessed from McClellan St. The two-lane access formerly connecting Highland Drive to McClellan St., also a private roadway, is now reduced to one lane, west bound, and will be permanently closed to vehicle traffic at the end of the project. This will be a five-story building containing 200 luxury apartments with the ground floor dedicated to retail, including restaurants and a bike shop.
- completion: Mid 2022.
- Project description: Mixed use residential.
- Location: 2200 S. Highland Drive.
Westport Capital Project (former Shopko Site)
- Start date: Summer 2017.
- Update: The approximately 100-unit apartment building on the west side of the site is now fully framed and work occurring on the interior of the building. The third and final phase of this large project is set to open really soon, just after the first of the year.
- completion (third phase): Early 2022.
- Project description: U of U Medical Clinic/Commercial Office Space/Residential.
- Location: Former Shopko site.
Izzy South & North
- Start Date: Late October ’21.
- Update: Work has been begun on the north site.
- Completion: Fall of ’23.
- Project description: 2-70+ unit residential, townhomes and single floor, with small commercial component on west end, ground floor.
- Project Location: 550 E./2100 S.
I-80 Freeway re-construction
- Start Date: Mid-May 2021
- Update: Construction is moving forward with the traffic now moved to the center of the roadway while work on the outside lanes between 1500 E. and 2300 E. continues. The 20th East bridge replacement is now in complete, and work on the 17th bridge continues.
- Completion: Spring 2023
- Project Description: UDOT will be replacing 50+ year old, worn out, pavement from 1300 East to 2300 East. The project will also include replacing brides at 1300, 1700, and 20000 East.
- Project Location: 1300 East to 2300 East.
900 East re-construction
- Start Date: May 2021
- Update: Completed.
- Completion: Late 2021.
- Project Description: Replace pavement and stripping.
- Project Location: 900 E. from Hollywood Ave. to 2700 S.
- Start Date: Mid-June 2021
- Update: Construction is fully underway on the site. The sidewalk has been re-opened to east/west pedestrian access along the block face between 21-2200 East. The contractor will soon be removing the parking islands along 2100 South in preparation for constructing a pedestrian walkway that will serve through the end of the project and should be in place within a few weeks.
- Completion: Spring 2023
- Project Description: Multi-unit r
- Location: 2000 E./2100 S.
900 E./Sugarmont Project
- Start Date: One-two weeks.
- Update: Demolition is complete and the site is being prepared for construction.
- Completion: Summer 2023.
- Project Description: 4-Story, 45-unit apartment building.
- Location: Approx. 2200 S./900 E.
Hawk Light Signal Project
- Start Date: November 17, of 2021.
- Update: The first phase of the project, directional boring underneath Highland Drive, has been completed. After shutting down for the holiday moratorium, crews are back on site and currently working at electrical installations. The final phase, pole foundations/pole setting, will be completed over the next two weeks.
- Completion: January 2022
- Project Description: This is the last item on the current list of several safety additions to the Sugar House CBD area made over the last two years
- Location: Approximately 2150 S. /Highland Drive
New Projects Coming Soon
2100 South Sewer/Water Line Replacement Project
- Start Date: April/May 2022.
- Completion: Late summer 2022.
- Location: 2100 South/1100 East- 2100 South/ Yuma Street.
Former Snelgrove Ice Cream property
- Start Date: Spring 2022
- Update: Demolition of the old structures on site is completed and construction is set to begin late spring.
- Completion: Early 2024.
- Project Description: Mixed use residential.
- Location: 2100 S./800-900 E.
Alta Terra (Former 24 Hour Fitness
- Start Date: Spring 2022
- Update: Demolition is now complete and being prepared for construction.
- Completion: Spring 2024.
- Project description: Residential (Approx. 340 units)
- Location: Ashton Ave./1100 E.
For questions or reporting issues or concerns contact: Bill Knowles, SLC Community Ombudsman: 801-580-2626; Knowles.email@example.com