Sugar House Construction Projects
November 26, 2019
Sugarmont Apartments—Boulder Ventures
- Start date: Fall of 2017.
- Update: The project is in the late stages with finishing work now occurring outside and inside the structure. Big D Construction is now in the process of mobilizing into full construction mode. They are projecting Phase I occupancy to be in about 8-10 months and final completion in about fifteen months.
Periodic lane closures, particularly north bound McClelland, may still occur as large trucks baring materials enter or leave the work site. Flagmen will be on hand to assist traffic on these occasions. As part of the last phases of the project McClelland Street will undergo some long-planned improvements that will include re-paving, curb & gutter replacement, and a raised crosswalk at the McClelland/Sugarmont intersection as well as McClelland Trail improvements. This work will be occurring most likely next spring as the new contractor gets fully engaged with moving the project forward.
- completion: Spring 2021.
- Location: Project borders Sugarmont and McClelland St.
Sugar Alley – Lowe Development
- Start date: Spring 2020.
- Update: Preliminary plans have now been submitted by the new owners of the property that previously contained the Dixon Building. The plans show a five-story building containing 200 luxury apartments with the ground floor dedicated to retail, including restaurants and a bike shop. Plan are completed and going through the approval process with SLC departments.
- completion: Mid-late 2021.
- Project description: Mixed use residential.
- Location: 2200 S. Highland Drive.
Dixon Place – Lowe Development
- Start date: Fall ’19.
- Update: The project has started with burying utility lines under the sidewalks fronting the east and south sides of the property. All but one utility connection(to be added at a later date) has been completed into the property from McClellan, and vehicle traffic has been restored. A full, covered walkway has now been installed, lighting will soon be added, for pedestrian traffic north and south on McClellan.
- completion: Spring ’21.
- Project description: Residential-66 units.
- Location: Elm & McClellan.
Springhill Suites—Woodbury Corp.
- Start date: March 2018.
- Update: Open for business.
- completion: Project completed.
- Project description: 110 room extended stay hotel.
- Location: 1220 E. Wilmington Ave.
Former Toys R Us/new Nordstrom Rack Building
- Start date: July 2018
- Update: Work is continuing on the lower level of the building, facing Wilmington Ave. A tenant for this new commercial space has not yet been announced.
- completion: Late fall 2019.
- Project description: Two level commercial/retail space.
- Location: 1210 Wilmington Ave./Simpson Ave.
Westport Capital Project (former Shopko Site)
- Start date: Summer 2017.
- Update: The east side of the project, the University of Utah Medical, is officially open for business as of November 4th. Work continues on the interiors of the five-story commercial office building situated on the south side of the property.
- completion (second phase): Spring of 2020.
- Project description: U of U Medical Clinic/Commercial Office Space/Residential.
- Location: Former Shopko site.
Cowboy Partners Townhouse Project
- Start date: Spring 2017.
- Update: The project is complete and several units have been leased and occupied.
- completion: Project completed.
- Project description: 67 Townhouse residential.
- Location: 650 E./Wilmington Ave.
Brixton Flats (700 East Streetcar Station Project)
- Start date: Fall 2017.
- Update: The commercial space in the project is complete, now housing Salt Lake Bicyle Center. The Center has moved from its temporary quarters in the old Deseret Industries Building back to its original location and into a beautiful new building at 2200 S. 700 E. and is open for business. The residential component of the project is completing finishing touches and will be open for occupancy before the end of the year.
- completion: Late 2019.
- Streetcar Line-Wilmington Ave./700 E.
- Project description: Mixed use development. 93 residential units above ground floor retail. Office space, a workout room, and general assembly room will front on Wilmington.
- Location: Wilmington Ave./ 700 E.
Salt Lake City Costume Properties LLC
- Start date: August 2018.
- Project update: Work is continuing on the retrofitting of the existing structure into a residential apartment building.
- completion: Early 2020.
- Location: 1700 S./1100 E.
- Project description: Building re-model/expansion into nineteen apartment units.
1300 East Road Re-construction project
- Start date: May 13, 2019
- Update: The first phase of the project, from 2100 South to 1700 South, is officially complete!
- Completion: Late 2020.
- Project Description: SLC Engineering will be taking up the old roadway, including the long buried former concrete road, and replacing it with a new concrete surface.
- Location: 1300 E./1300 S. – 1300 E./2100 S.
Hawk Light installations
- Start Date: November 2018
- Project Update: Project completed.
- Completion: Summer 2019.
- Three Hawk Lights to be installed along the 2100 S. corridor to provide additional pedestrian safety.
*The mid-block pedestrian crossing light on Wilmington, between Highland and 1300 E. is, once again, inoperable. The City Engineering Dept. is continuing to work with the contractor to find a permanent solution to correct the operation system.
For questions or reporting issues or concerns contact: Bill Knowles, SLC Community Ombudsman: 801-580-2626; firstname.lastname@example.org