Sugar House Construction Projects
June 19, 2020
Sugarmont Apartments—Boulder Ventures
- Start date: Fall of 2017.
- Update: The project is in the late stages with finishing work now occurring outside and inside the structure. Big D Construction is now in full construction mode with 110 construction workers on site, mostly working on the interior spaces. They are projecting Phase I occupancy to be in early Fall with total completion in about fifteen months.
Periodic lane closures, particularly north bound McClelland, may still occur as large trucks baring materials enter or leave the work site. Flagmen will be on hand to assist traffic on these occasions. As part of the last phases of the project the SE McClelland Street frontage will undergo some improvements that will include re-paving, curb & gutter replacement, and a raised crosswalk at the McClelland/Sugarmont intersection. This work now looks to be taking place early to mid-July.
- completion: First phase, fall 2020; complete summer 2021.
- Location: Project borders Sugarmont and McClelland St.
Sugar Alley – Lowe Development
- Start date: Summer 2020.
- Update: Work is set to begin in August on the property that previously contained the Dixon Building on Highland Drive. The plans show a five-story building containing 200 luxury apartments with the ground floor dedicated to retail, including restaurants and a bike shop. Plan are completed and going through the final approval process with SLC departments.
- completion: Late 2021.
- Project description: Mixed use residential.
- Location: 2200 S. Highland Drive.
Dixon Place – Lowe Development
- Start date: Fall ’19.
- Update: The project remains on schedule as the building is rapidly extending to its full height and framing is near complete. Occasional vehicle traffic disruptions will continue intermittently as trucks enter and exit the area. Flaggers will be on hand to assure safety and traffic flow. A full covered walkway with lighting has been installed to accommodate pedestrian traffic north and south on McClellan.
- completion: Spring ’21.
- Project description: Residential-66 units.
- Location: Elm & McClellan.
Former Toys R Us/new Nordstrom Rack Building
- Start date: July 2018
- Update: Tenant improvements are completed and a new tenant, FileVine, is set to occupy the lower level of the building facing Wilmington Ave.
- completion: Early summer 2020.
- Project description: Two level commercial/retail space.
- Location: 1210 Wilmington Ave./Simpson Ave.
Westport Capital Project (former Shopko Site)
- Start date: Summer 2017.
- Update: Work is completed on the five-story commercial office building situated on the south side of the property. Tenant have been filling the building as improvements are completed in much of the space. The approximately 100-unit apartment building on the west side of the site is under construction with the concrete parking structure near completed and framing of the upper structure underway. The third and final phase of this large project is set to open early next year.
- completion (third phase): Early 2021.
- Project description: U of U Medical Clinic/Commercial Office Space/Residential.
- Location: Former Shopko site.
1300 East Road Re-construction project
- Start date: May 13, 2019
- Update: The next phase of the project, from 1700 South to 1300 South, is underway. The roadway is closed to through traffic, residential access only. North/South traffic is being re-routed to either 15th or 11th
- Completion: Late 2020.
- Project Description: SLC Engineering will be taking up the old roadway, including the long buried former concrete road, and replacing it with a new surface.
- Location: 1300 E./1300 S. – 1300 E./2100 S.
Boys/Girls Club Project
- Start date: Late 2020
- Estimated Completion: TBD
- Project Description: The Boys/Girls Club of Salt Lake is in the process of planning an expansion of its Sugar House facilities and is being assisted in the process by Real Salt Lake, The Utah Jazz, and Salt Lake City. More details as they become available.
- Start Date: February 2020
- Update: The project is now fully framed and work beginning on the interior of the building.
- Estimated Completion: Spring 2021
- Project Description: 32 unit residential, one retail space.
- Location: 2700 S./900 E.
For questions or reporting issues or concerns contact: Bill Knowles, SLC Community Ombudsman: 801-580-2626; email@example.com