29 Nov Construction Projects
Sugar House Construction Projects
September 23, 2022
Sugar Alley – Lowe Development
- Start date: Fall 2020.
- Update: Progress continues moving rapidly as workers are installing exterior finishes on the structure. Utility work was completed by August 31 and traffic lanes have been restored to original configurations. The new Wilmington extension, a private roadway, will be temporarily reduced to one-way traffic (east bound only) accessed from McClellan St. The two-lane access formerly connecting Highland Drive to McClellan St., also a private roadway, is now reduced to one lane, west bound, and will be permanently closed to vehicle traffic at the end of the project. This will be a five-story building containing 200 luxury apartments with the ground floor dedicated to retail, including restaurants and a bike shop.
- Est. completion: Early 2023.
- Project description: Mixed use residential.
- Location: 2200 S. Highland Drive.
Izzy South & North
- Start Date: Late January ’22.
- Update: Both Izzys are very busy! Structures are rising rapidly on both the north and south sites. Utility installations for the Izzy North project are now underway. The outside, west bound, lane closure will exist for approximately 3-4 more weeks. The traffic shift begins just west of the 700 East intersection, opening back up just before the 500 East intersection.
- Est. Completion: Fall of ’23.
- Project description: 2-70+ unit residential, townhomes and single floor, with small commercial component on west end, ground floor.
- Project Location: Approx. 550 E./2100 S.
I-80 Freeway re-construction
- Start Date: Mid-May 2021.
- Update: Construction is moving forward with the traffic now moved to the center of the roadway while work on the outside lanes between 1500 E. and 2300 E. continues.Work on the 17th E. bridge was completed before August 30th , just In time to accommodate back-to-school traffic.
Preparations are now underway for the replacement of the 1300 East bridge, to take place early next year.
- Est. Completion: Late fall 2023.
- Project Description: UDOT will be replacing 50+ year old, worn out, pavement from 1300 East to 2300 East. The project will also include replacing brides at 1300, 1700, and 20000 East.
- Project Location: 1300 East to 2300 East.
- Start Date: Mid-June 2021
- Update: A new temporary sidewalk has been installed on the west side (2100 East) of the project. Pedestrian access on both sides of the project will be fully restored well in advance of the new school year. The structure has filled out across the north end of the property and preparations are being made to begin work on the south side of the project.
- Est. Completion: Spring 2023
- Project Description: Multi-unit residential.
- Location: 2000 E./2100 S.
Alta Terra (Former 24 Hour Fitness
- Start Date: 1st week of June , 2022.
- Update: This two-part project is now under construction with foundations in place at both the north and south sites. Vehicle access remains unimpeded 1100 E. & Ashton Ave. Pedestrians will soon be restricted to the north side of Ashton Ave. as the sidewalk along the frontage of the south side property will be closed for safety due to the heavy truck and machinery traffic entering and leaving the project and adjacent staging area.
- Est. Completion: Spring 2024.
- Project description: Residential (Approx. 340 units)
- Location: Ashton Ave./1100 E.
900 E./Sugarmont Project
- Start Date: Very soon.
- Update: Demolition is complete, and the site is being prepared for construction.
- Est. Completion: TBD.
- Project Description: 4-Story, 45-unit apartment building.
- Location: Approx. 2200 S./900 E.
Former Art Studio Building
- Start Date: 8/22/22.
- Est. Completion: Spring 2024.
- Project Description: Multi-unit (60+ units) residential.
- Location: 700 East/Simpson Ave.
New Projects Coming Soon
Start Date: Early Spring 2023.
Est. Completion: Late spring 2023.
Project Description: Resurfacing and adding complete street refinements to McClelland Street between 2100 S. and
2100 South Sewer/Water Line Replacement Project
- Start Date: Early spring 2023.
- Est. Completion: Late 2022.
- Location: 2100 South/1100 East- 2100 South/ Yuma Street.
Highland Drive/1100 E. Re-Construction Project
- Start Date: Spring 2023.
- Est. Completion: Late summer 2024.
- Location: 1100 East/1700 S.- Highland Drive/I-80 Freeway.
Former Snelgrove Ice Cream property
- Start Date: Early 2023.
- Update: Demolition of the old structures on site is completed and construction is set to begin mid-summer.
- Est. Completion: Mid 2024.
- Project Description: Mixed use residential.
- Location: 2100 S./800-900 E.
For questions or reporting issues or concerns contact: Bill Knowles, SLC Community Ombudsman: 801-580-2626; Knowles.email@example.com