29 Nov SHCC November 2021 Construction Update
Sugar House Construction Projects
November 19, 2021
Sugarmont Apartments—Boulder Ventures
- Start date: Fall of 2017.
- A number of tenants are occupying Phase I and the south face of the project, Phase II, is now open and also becoming occupied. Leasing is reportedly moving briskly. There will continue to be periodic disruptions on McClellan as large trucks continue to deliver materials and work on the west side of the building continues.
WB Sugarmont, between Highland Drive and McClelland, is now officially open but will experience periodic short term closures to accommodate finishing work still being performed on the south side of the project. Flagmen will be on hand to assist traffic on these occasions.
- completion: Whenever it gets done.
- Location: Project borders Sugarmont and McClelland St.
Sugar Alley – Lowe Development
- Start date: Fall 2020.
- Update: Work is moving rapidly upward as the structure of the building is reaching its full height on the block framed by Wilmington on the south and the Vue development to the north. A temporary pedestrian walkway has been installed in the outside, southbound lane of Highland Drive from the north end of the project south to the Wilmington crossing. Highland Drive will be reduced to one lane SB, from just south of 2100 South to Wilmington. The new Wilmington extension, a private roadway, will be reduced to one-way traffic (east bound only) accessed from McClellan St. The two-lane access formerly connecting Highland Drive to McClellan St., also a private roadway, is now reduced to one lane, west bound, and will be permanently closed to vehicle traffic at the end of the project. This will be a five-story building containing 200 luxury apartments with the ground floor dedicated to retail, including restaurants and a bike shop.
- completion: Mid 2022.
- Project description: Mixed use residential.
- Location: 2200 S. Highland Drive.
Westport Capital Project (former Shopko Site)
- Start date: Summer 2017.
- Update: The approximately 100-unit apartment building on the west side of the site is now fully framed and work occurring on the interior of the building. The third and final phase of this large project is set to open really soon, before the end of 2021.
- completion (third phase): Late summer 2021.
- Project description: U of U Medical Clinic/Commercial Office Space/Residential.
- Location: Former Shopko site.
Izzy South & North
- Start Date: Late October ’21.
- Update: Demolition has been completed on both the north and south project sites. Currently undergoing design updates.
- Completion: Fall of ’22.
- Project description: 2-70+ unit residential, townhomes and single floor, with small commercial component on west end, ground floor.
- Project Location: 550 E./2100 S.
I-80 Freeway re-construction
- Start Date: Mid-May 2021
- Update: Construction is moving forward into a new phase with the traffic now moved to the center of the roadway while work on the outside lanes between 1500 E. and 2300 E. begins. Work continues on the 20th East bridge replacement, and the 17th bridge is now underway.
- Completion: Spring 2023
- Project Description: UDOT will be replacing 50+ year old, worn out, pavement from 1300 East to 2300 East. The project will also include replacing brides at 1300, 1700, and 20000 East.
- Project Location: 1300 East to 2300 East.
900 East re-construction
- Start Date: May 2021
- Update: Work is nearing completion but some heavy construction on 900 East continues between 2100 South to 2700 South.
- Completion: Late fall 2021.
- Project Description: Replace pavement and stripping.
- Project Location: 900 E. from Hollywood Ave. to 2700 S.
- Start Date: Mid-June 2021
- Update: Construction is fully underway on the site. The sidewalk has been re-opened to east/west pedestrian access along the block face between 21-2200 East, however, as some small stretches are being replaced, brief closures will be necessary to allow for concrete to dry. The contractor will soon be removing the parking islands along 2100 South in preparation for constructing a pedestrian walkway that will serve through the end of the project and should be in place within a few weeks.
- Completion: Spring 2023
- Project Description: Multi-unit r
- Location: 2000 E./2100 S.
900 E./Sugarmont Project
- Start Date: One-two weeks.
- Update: Demolition is complete and the site is being prepared for construction.
- Completion: Summer 2023.
- Project Description: 4-Story, 45-unit apartment building.
- Location: Approx. 2200 S./900 E.
Hawk Light Signal Project
- Start Date: November 17, of 2021.
- Update: The first phase of the project, directional boring underneath Highland Drive, has been completed. Two phases remaining, electrical installations and pole foundations/pole setting, will be completed over the next two weeks.
- Completion: 2-3 weeks, 2021
- Project Description: This is the last item on the current list of several safety additions to the Sugar House CBD area made over the last two years
- Location: Approximately 2150 S. /Highland Drive
New Projects Coming Soon
2100 South Sewer/Water Line Replacement Project
- Start Date: March/April 2022.
- Completion: Late summer 2022.
- Location: 2100 South/1100 East- 2100 South/ Yuma Street.
Former Snelgrove Ice Cream property
- Start Date: Spring 2022
- Update: Demolition of the old structures on site is completed and construction is set to begin early next year.
- Completion: Late 2023.
- Project Description: Mixed use residential.
- Location: 2100 S./800-900 E.
Alta Terra (Former 24 Hour Fitness
- Start Date: Early 2022
- Update: Demolition is now complete and being prepared for construction.
- Completion: Spring 2024.
- Project description: Residential (Approx. 340 units)
- Location: Ashton Ave./1100 E.
For questions or reporting issues or concerns contact: Bill Knowles, SLC Community Ombudsman: 801-580-2626; Knowles.email@example.com