01 Jun Meeting Minutes May 1, 2019
Sugar House Community Council Trustee Meeting Minutes – May 1, 2019
This month’s minutes and attendance are were limited due to an off-site meeting in the Station 3 bay.
The meeting was called to order at 7:15pm by Landon Clark, Chair SHCC. A motion to approve last month’s minutes was made and passed.
Chair Announcements: Landon Clark
- We are currently working with the student government at Westminster to hold a mayor debate on the campus July 17th. We hope to finalize that soon.
- The Sugar House Block party is going to happen. We are going to start with a one day event and we hope to expand in the future. It will be held the Saturday of Labor Day weekend in Fairmont Park. Anything to add Dayna?
- There is a public meeting on May 16th
- 1300 east is going to completely close on May 13th from 2100 South to 1700 South for 3 months and then will move to 1300 South to 1700 South for the next 3 months.
- Tomorrow there is a spring kick-off meeting for Friends of Fairmont from 6-6:45 pm meeting at the pavilion nearest to the Fairmont pool
Secretary Report-Erika Wiggins Seliger: One petition due – Mike Bagley – next is due in September. Introduce new trustee – Rich Knickerbocker – Motion to approve – passed.
Treasurer Report-Mike Bagley: Current Balance is $8346.78. Includes $2500 ACE funds for Night Out Against Crime and a Block Party at Fairmont Park. Expenses – Sugar House Chamber of Commerce.
Announcement: Committee meetings are now split between the 2nd and 3rd Mondays.
Land Use and Zoning-Judi Short
First ADU approved on 2320 Green St. 937 S 1200 E – Request for R45 on R30 lot. Neighbors objected to the additional traffic the extra units would cause. 2188 Highland Drive request – South of the Vue. Five stories and will include 16000 s/f retail shopping and a path. Sidewalk ordnance.
Transportation – Larry Migliaccio & Levi Thatcher
UTA Director of Planning visited meeting last month regarding redesign of system. Taking input now. Watch for booths at festivals or visit: rideuta.com/servicecoverage – Proposals will be presented next year with changes in 2021.
Trails, Parks and Open Spaces-Sally Barraclough
Friends of Fairmont Park meeting tomorrow night. 6:00pm to 6:45pm. Sugar House Music Stroll Sat June 8th – Poster designed by Jim Hayes – raise awareness for heart and Soul – 1200 free performances for shut-ins last year. Begins at 3:00. Sugar House Park Authority is looking for Trustees to serve. Trustees are unpaid except for two City Park employees. Anyone in the community is welcome.
PNUT board Samantha Finch (Parks, Natural Lands, Urban Trails)
Meets every third Thursday. Will be working a lot with Sally. Can help with coordinating with Parks staff.
Arts and Culture – Meggie Troili
- Thank you to Lori for all of her hard work. Meeting on 2nd Monday of each month (May 13th) 7:00 at Legacy Village. SHCC Calendar is now being updated regularly – Also follow our social media. Committee is open to anyone and they welcome suggestions.
- Sugar House Art Walk June 14th – Now quarterly.
- Lori Bray – Jim Kirkman – was digging in the pit of a building being demolished. He found a lot of artifacts. Looking at designs from an artist at Local Colors on Monument Plaza, using the things he dug up. She also has a sign from the old Granite Drug (circ 1940s). She shared four images of the old building.
Fire Station #3
- Greeting from Fire Captain – Gratitude for the new station. Community Newsletter: Time for water runoff. Be careful around swift water such as streams and rivers, especially with loved ones and pets. Also watch for clogged storm drains and alert the City.
- May is Stroke Awareness Month, be aware of risks and symptoms such as one sided weakness (check grip strength) or paralysis, plus slurred speech. Time is critical to make a difference in recovery.
Shelley Reynolds, Bike Collective
Bike Prom Event is coming up. Departs from Fairmont Park and attracts 600-1200 riders. It continues to Tracy Aviary. Event is free. June 8th gather at 5:30 and ride by 6:30.
Sprague Library Update – Cherie Koford-Adult Services
Firehouse Express is now open with about 15,000 items. No public wifi right now, but they do have hot spots. They are also taking over the firefighter’s garden.
Census 2020 – Nancy Weber-Recruiting Assistant
They are hiring and need thousands of workers. Accurate counts are vital for funding. Pay is $17 hour. Most positions are part time, up to 35 hours.
Sen. Gene Davis – History of Sugar House
Involved in the SHCC since – In 1978 he went to the Community Council to ask if the Forestdale Club House was historic. They didn’t know and put him on a committee to find out. He became known as someone who knew the history of Sugar House. He helped it become a landmark. He was later asked to be on the Master Plan Committee in 1985. They started listening to the community to represent what they wanted in a plan. He shared how important community activism is to realizing the vision.
Meeting Adjourned: 8:45pm
Erika Wiggins is local Realtor, a Trustee for the Sugar House Community Council, and Co-Chair of the Sugar House Chamber. An avid writer, her byline has appeared in Huffington Post, Forbes, Business Insider, Liftopia and others. She was also a writer for Ski Utah for six years.
Erika lives in Sugar House with her husband Steve. They own several businesses in the neighborhood and share a deep love for the community. She specializes in selling property in historic enclaves of Salt Lake City.